Oral Cancer Self-Exam. Perform this 5-step oral cancer self-exam each month (using a bright light and a mirror)
1. Look and feel inside your lips and the front of your gums. Look for white patches of the oral tissues.
2. Tilt your head back and inspect and feel the roof of your mouth. Look for red patches of the oral tissues.
3. Pull your cheek on each side out to inspect it and the gums in the back.
4. Pull out your tongue and look at its top and bottom.
5. Feel for lumps or enlarged lymph nodes (glands) in both sides of your neck, including under your lower jaw.
A sore that fails to heal and bleeds easily or an abnormal lump or thickening of tissues is reason to call us and have us take a look at you.